Thursday, June 10, 2010

Plato says I am an Egalitarian!

Quoted from Plato's Republic-

‘So that’s how he lives,’ Socrates said. ‘He indulges in every passing desire that each day brings. One day he gets drunk at a party, the next day he’s sipping water and trying to lose weight; then again, he sometimes takes exercise, sometimes take things easy without a care in the world, and sometimes he’s apparently a student of philosophy. At frequent intervals he gets involved in community affairs, and his public speaking and other duties keep him leaping around here, there, and everywhere. If military types aroused his admiration, he inclines towards the military life; if it’s businessmen, he’s all for business. His lifestyle has no rhyme or reason, but he thinks it enjoyable, free, and enviable and he never dispenses with it.’
‘You have given a perfect description of an egalitarian.’ Adeimantus said.
‘Yes,’ Socrates said, ‘and I think he’s also multi-hued and multi-faceted, as gorgeous and varied a patchwork as that community is. His way of life can be admired by many men and women, because he contains example of so many political systems and walks of life.’ :P

2 comments:

  1. well, this is a type, which I know. I have seen so many people, who like to be like that. Some times, you also act like that unconsiously. That is like a splash of water, which falls in the surrounding region with all of its beauty but after that, the water is absorbed by soil, no drop of water exist above the ground which can express its beauty!... Socrates wasn't like that. He hadn't written any peice of word which is existing, but the name socrates is still remaining and will be remained for next several hundred years also.

    "His way of life can be admired by many men and women, because he contains example of so many political systems and walks of life", he is actually a follower who only follows so many examples, doesn't create any new type except egalitarian.

    I am asking myself, do I want to be like that who flows in the stream? No,I don't want to be like that, I am little unsocial. If I become egalitarian, then all of my concentration and potentials will be wasted in every days new dreams! I dont want to make successful every piece of dream. Instead of that, I want to see a dream which will be larger everyday and I will make true the whole dream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete